[Chicago-talk] Getting new modules into the standard Perl distribution.

Sean Blanton sean at blanton.com
Tue Jan 27 16:05:23 PST 2009

I am huge fan and user of the XML::Twig and Config::Properties modules.
After all, these address handling of some of the most common resources
found today.

When I download Perl, however, they are not there, and the third most
popular scripting language does not have good XML support
"out-of-the-box". Yeah, TIMTOWTDI, but XML::Twig is the undisputed king
of the universe imho. Add all generally accepted XML modules in fact -
the more the better.

The long sad story is that it is not easy for larger companies with
standard Perl distributions to add modules. One of our customers has an
"open source review board" where new modules need to be reviewed and
approved and maybe tested with a number of different apps (most of the
time it is most likely just ours). And, there better be a good reason to
do so and it must be easy enough to understand and believed
cost-effective for management to go forward with it. It's easier for
them to pick up new modules on an upgrade. And, that is only one
customer. We have hundreds.

Our product uses Perl at one layer, but we had to stop distributing Perl
for Windows because ActiveState wanted to charge for it, so that ended
our control. We do distribute some simple CPAN modules, but, that's a
tricky business considering module dependencies and the fact we need to
support Perl 5.6.x through 5.8.y

So how are requirements managed anyway? How do I start the ball rolling
even if it is a long uphill path and a heavy ball?

Heading to the meeting shortly!