[Chicago-talk] Interfacing to Excel

Eric Ellington e.ellington at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 12:05:59 PDT 2009

I used to do this quite a bit in ActiveState and perl on linux, OLE will let
you do anything. However, a gotcha is that the perl OLE package is not very
informative on everything you can actually do with OLE. I always had to go
digging online for OLE commands, or sit with a VB window open so I could
browse all of the data and methods that are in a MS spreadsheet. I am sure a
good microsoft book would work well, but I was to lazy to try and find one.
As others have mentioned, I belive the proper name for the package is
Win32::OLE, but I always just said: use OLE;

I found Spreadsheet::WriteExcel and Spreadsheet::WriteExcel::Utility usefull
for many taks too.

Eric

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Michael Potter <michael at potter.name> wrote:

> Mongers,
>
> Can any one point me to an article on the current state of accessing
> excel spreadsheets using Perl?
>
> The problem I am trying to solve is that I want to a) write a value to
> a particular cell, b) allow the sheet to recalculate, c) read the
> resultant values, d) repeat 200 times.
>
> I want to do this in Perl rather than Excel macros because this is
> someone else's spreadsheet that I am reading for a conversion project.
>
> I am guessing that the recalculation part of my requirements would
> require me to use windows, that is okay, but I would rather use AIX,
> Linux, or Mac.
>
> All comments appreciated,
>
> --
> Michael Potter