[Chicago-talk] Just enough C for open source programmers

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Fri May 16 09:14:04 PDT 2008

On July 8th, 2008, I'll be giving a talk at the Wheaton branch of
Polyglot Programmers.  It will be the same talk I'll be giving a few
weeks later at OSCON: http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2008/public/schedule/detail/3050

This session will provide a high-level overview of C, aimed
specifically at the programmer wanting to get involved in a C-based
open source project. We’ll cover:

     * Numeric types, strings and structures

     * Memory management: the heap, the stack, and pointers

     * Using the preprocessor

     * Understanding compiler warnings

     * Memory checking with valgrind

     * How to navigate a large C-based open source project (ctags, etc)

     * Security, or, how the Bad Guys smash the stack

Although Perl 5 is written in C, I will NOT be getting into specifics
of Perl 5 internals, so if that's what you're interested in, please
don't be disappointed.

The full schedule of all Polyglot Programmers talks are available at http://polyglotprogrammers.com/

I hope to see y'all there.

xoxo,