[Chicago-talk] [WindyCity-pm] Module::Build and company in a $work environment

Elliot Shank chicago.pm at galumph.com
Thu Apr 17 18:01:53 PDT 2008

Shawn Carroll wrote:
> Has any one used Module::Build or similar modules in a workplace
> environment?  I'm embarking on cleaning up some messy perl code and
> hooking into the local build and release system.  The system is
> designed for compiled languages, but I figure if I can present them
> with a make file-esqe setup, I won't cause to much of a problem.

I do.  I LOVE M::B.  Easy to subclass, extend, override defaults, etc.

We've got a hierarchy like this:

M::B => X::M::B => X::M::B::Base => X::M::B::(?:Legacy|Standard)

X::M::B is where we put our extra functionality.

X::M::B::Base has stuff that we want every distribution to use.

X::M::B::Standard has stuff for new code and completely reformed legacy code.

X::M::B::Legacy, well, you can guess that.

One thing we use this for is centralizing version dependencies.

Here's an edited down version of one of our Build.PL files:

====

use strict;
use warnings;

use X::Module::Build::Legacy 16230;

# Unless there are extraordinary circumstances, please do not specify a module
# version in the dependencies here.  Simply specify a dependency upon a
# version 0 here, then go modify
# $X::Module::Build::Base::MINIMUM_MODULE_VERSIONS to include your real
# minimum version.  This way we only need to update versions in one location.

my $builder = X::Module::Build::Legacy->new(
    module_name          => 'Y::B',
    requires_merge       => {
        'A::Z'              => 0,
        Cwd                 => 0,