[Chicago-talk] Books for Teen Daughter

brian d foy brian.d.foy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 14:24:26 PST 2007

On 11/9/07, Domenic Tassone <d_tassone at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greetings from Palo Alto...wondering if anyone has any good books
> suggestions for a teenage daughter interested in programming - ideally Perl
> specific.

If she hasn't done any programming, I recommend "Squeak: Learn
Programming with Robots" (http://www.apress.com/book/view/1590594916).
It's Smalltalk and comes with a complete environment ready to go.
Through the use of robot characters to which you can send messages to
control them, he teaches the basics of statements, loops, and then
programs. There's immediate satisfaction seeing the robot do
something, even from the first exercise.

If you really must have Perl, you might look at Andrew Johnson's
"Elements of Programming with Perl".

--
brian d foy <brian.d.foy at gmail.com>
http://www.pair.com/~comdog/