[Chicago-talk] Books for Teen Daughter

Joshua McAdams joshua.mcadams at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 06:31:11 PST 2007

> Greetings from Palo Alto...wondering if anyone has any good books
> suggestions for a teenage daughter interested in programming - ideally Perl
> specific.

Well, I'm only partially answering the question, because none of these
are Perl-based and only one is a book, but here are a few suggestions
anyway.

"Learn to Program" - http://www.pragprog.com/titles/fr_ltp - It's Ruby
focused, but it was written with young non-programmers in mind.

Alice - http://www.alice.org/ - I haven't played with it yet, but it's
supposedly a cooler version of my next suggestion...

Logo - There are implementations of this all over the web.  Basically
you animate a turtle, Logo, in his movements across the screen while
in the meantime learning some programming basics.

Good luck