[Chicago-talk] perl question

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Wed Mar 7 14:53:29 PST 2007

> I am on  linux laptop and can i write out a perl
> script on windows and run it from a differnt computer
> like on linux?

It depends.

The perl code itself is write-once run anywhere.

If you use operating-system specific features they may not
be portable between systems. For example, the values
returned by 'stat' on windows may not have a lot to do
with what you'd get on *NIX. *NIX and OS/X (which is
basically BSD) are pretty much portable.

Filesystms are particularly pernicious in this respect
(e.g., don't try to find "c:\usr" on linux). File::Spec
goes a long way to standardizing these things.

--
Steven Lembark                                         85-09 90th Street
Workhorse Computing                                  Woodhaven, NY 11421