[Chicago-talk] Slashdot |Randal Schwartz's Charges Expunged

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Fri Mar 2 07:37:51 PST 2007

>>>>> "brian" == brian d foy <brian.d.foy at gmail.com> writes:

brian> On 3/1/07, Hal Wigoda <hwigoda at mindspring.com> wrote:
>> it took long enough.

brian> Expungement has nothing to do with the merits of the case and it does
brian> not reverse any decisions or penalties. He got an expungement exactly
brian> because this much time has passed. It's not a statement of position in
brian> any sense.

Yeah, it's bizarre how many people think that I finally "won".  I did
precisely "nothing", for long enough time, that I also then recieved the
corresponding "nothing" seal-of-approval for my record.

This merely buries the legal records deeply enough that for nearly all
practical purposes, I've never been convicted.  This does nothing to the
hearts and minds of humans who have been around me, or databases that have
their own view of history.  This is also not an admission by the state
that the conviction was without merit, only that time has passed.

Don't get me wrong.  This is a good, freeing thing for me, and I'm very happy
that I've made it to this point.  But it doesn't reset me in all respects, and
certainly doesn't give me back any part of the lost resources over the past 13
years.  However, I'm a big boy, and I'll move on.