[Chicago-talk] Where'd I come from?

Andy_Bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov Andy_Bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov
Fri Jan 26 09:56:17 PST 2007

> Why are you using string evals?  What's wrong with:

eval {
  require 'whatever';
  foo();
}

Er, I'm not. Its 'legacy' production code which we can't really change
(and this'd be way down on the list of changes we'd like to make - its a
bit of a mess ;-).  The string evals are just something we shake our heads
at and live w/ ... and don't get me started on the 'package'-ing.  Worse
than not using it is a hit or miss mix of using it. We see them ending up
prepending main:: quite a lot (lots of globals here) 'just in case' ....

Thanks.

Andy Bach
Systems Mangler
Internet: andy_bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov