[Chicago-talk] Why does Perl hate my csv file?

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Thu Dec 13 16:49:19 PST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 6:46 PM, Eric Ellington wrote:

> Change the file name to 1.txt and I get output or if I comment out "my
> $x = <FILE>;" and even then the output is jacked up. Why is that? Does
> open do something special when it sees a file that ends in .csv? I
> found nothing at http://perldoc.perl.org/functions/open.html or on
> ActiveState's website.

No, Perl doesn't care at all.  There's something else going on that
you're not describing.  Are the line-endings different for your
machine from the machine that you got the file from?  You're on Unix
and it came from Windows, or vice versa?

Also, although "use strict" is a good thing, even more important is
"use warnings".

Throw that in and see what else happens.  And what does "the output is
jacked up" mean, anyway?

xoox,
Andy

--