[Chicago-talk] emailing from perl

Jonathan T. Rockway jon at jrock.us
Sun Aug 5 00:35:18 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 02:29:17PM -0400, Steven Lembark wrote:
> Q: If you do not intend to use local smtp, what
>    is your ISP's smtp forwarding hostname or
>    IP address? If you telnet to it's IP and port
>    25 can you connect?
>
> Until you have working answers to these questions
> no amount of local email code is going to work: it
> won't have a mail transport agent to talk to and
> thus won't have any way to move the mail.

Not true.  If I want to send mail to foo at example.com, all I have to do
is look up the MX record for example.com and talk to port 25 on that
machine.  No local (or ISP-level) mail server is necessary.

Things like SPF might complicate this if you want to send mail with a
>From field of me at yourcompany.com, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend
it.  Then again, I sent this message with that technique, so it
apparently works.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway