[Chicago-talk] Help CPAN on FreeBSD Perl 5.8.8

Ed Pigg ed at questinformation.com
Fri Apr 20 08:56:24 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I've got a FreeBSD server that I've been using for the past year for
development purposes.

FreeBSD 6.0 release

It started with Perl 5.8.7 and I've operated for a year and a half
with no problems. I use CPAN for updating the modules rather than the
ports collection. Last week I needed to upgrade some other packages
on the server and Perl 5.8.8 was installed in the process. I have
updated the package db and ran the perl-after-upgrade program as
documented.

Now CPAN (1.90) is throwing errors and I'm having a hard time trying
to figure out how to remedy them.

Here's a typical error message from an install command

cpan[2]> install CPAN
Running install for module 'CPAN'
Running make for A/AN/ANDK/CPAN-1.91.tar.gz
CPAN: Digest::SHA loaded ok (v5.44)
Catching error: 'Can't locate object method "prefs_lookup" via
package "CPAN::HandleConfig" at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN.pm
line 6564.
' at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN.pm line 274
         CPAN::shell() called at -e line 1

I've looked at CPAN::HandleConfig and there is no "prefs_lookup" sub
in the module. I thought that I'd reinstall CPAN from the ports
collection, but it doesn't appear to be there. Just CPANPLUS. Should
I fetch CPAN from CPAN and install manually? Is this a change from
5.8.7 to 5.8.8?

Thx

Edgar Pigg                             ed at questinformation.com
Quest Information Systems                             847 234-1345