[Chicago-talk] In Search of Wireless

Elias Lutfallah eli at mortgagefolder.com
Sat Jun 10 17:36:28 PDT 2006

I take it that each room will have a net connection that we can use for
the routers? If that's the case then we would need at least 1 for each
room, possibly 2 for the best coverage.

Is there some kind of common area that would need to be covered as well?

There will be some spillover connectivity if the rooms are close together.
We would need to set the SSID to the name of the conference room so that
people can connect to the proper router.

If we can place one at the front and one at the rear of the rooms, they
should cover the whole room as well as some area outside the rooms.

I think I can scare up at leat one Netgear that isn't doing anything,
possibly 2.

> On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 15:15 -0500, Joshua McAdams wrote:
>> It looks like we are on our own for getting wireless internet access
>> throughout the IIT conference center for YAPC.  We have a few options,
>> some of which are:
>>
>>   - Chicago.pm'ers loaning home wireless routers for the three days.
>> We'd need quite a few of them to adequately connect everyone.
>>   - Some person or business loan some industrial strength wireless
>> routers.
>>   - Rent routers for the three days.
>>   - Find a company that provides wireless access setup.
>
> Not being a networking expert, how many would you need?
> Can we get some at TigerDirect (warehouse is in Naperville)
> and Auction them off, they can take them after the conference?
> Just an idea.
>

>> Any leads on these or any ideas for better options?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Josh

Elias Lutfallah
Chief Technology Officer