[Chicago-talk] Specifying a minimum version in Makefile.PL

Pete Krawczyk mongers at bsod.net
Fri Jan 13 07:58:59 PST 2006

Subject: [Chicago-talk] Specifying a minimum version in Makefile.PL
From: Jay Strauss <me at heyjay.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:43:16 -0600

}How do I specify the minimum version of a prerequisite module?  In my case my
}module needs
}
}>= Inline::Java .50_93

In your WriteMakefile call, make sure to have:

    PREREQ_PM => {
	'Inline::Java' => .50_93
    }

The .50_93 means you need that version or higher.

}Also, what would I perldoc or read to learn more about the contents and
}options of Makefile.PL?

  perldoc ExtUtils::MakeMaker

Also, look at other distributions' Makefile.PL files to get a better idea
of how they're put together.

You can also consider using Build.PL as well.  For more information, look at

  perldoc Module::Build

I've also made my module support both; you can look at

  http://search.cpan.org/src/PETEK/Algorithm-SixDegrees-0.03/Build.PL
  http://search.cpan.org/src/PETEK/Algorithm-SixDegrees-0.03/Makefile.PL

to look at a simple comparison of the two file formats.

-Pete K
--
Pete Krawczyk
  mongers at bsod dot net