[Chicago-talk] Deciphering File Formats

Jason A. Crome perl at cromedome.net
Mon Jan 9 12:43:09 PST 2006

Good afternoon,

A high-profile client of ours has come to us with a dilemma, which I
am in turn coming to the community with.  They have been working with
a another company's software package for some time, and have years
worth of data locked up in that company's proprietary file format.
They are looking into switching away from that company's software
package, but that company will neither provide them with the file
format (for data conversion purposes), nor will they convert the data
into a format that someone else could use.  So while our client owns
their data, it is entirely useless to them at this point.  The sheer
amount of data that they have makes re-entry impractical.

(sound familiar?  It's not Microsoft though)

This client can't wait for the legal system to resolve the issue, and
needs access to that data soon.  They have come to us in search of
help, but frankly, we have little experience in cracking file
formats.   Does anyone out there have a knack for deciphering file
formats?  Want to make a chunk of cash doing so?  Please contact me
off-list at crome at devnetinc.com if you are interested.  I can provide
more details and information, but would prefer to do so privately.

Thanks!
Jason Crome