[Chicago-talk] FreeBSD. Ports collection vs CPAN?

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Thu Jan 5 12:11:06 PST 2006

> modules in the ports collection. What are the pros and cons of using
> the ports collection for adding/updating modules vs CPAN. On Mac OSX
> I've always used CPAN. Any thoughts or advise is welcome.

If the modules you use are Purely Perly then they
don't need ports.

If your local compiler is having serious problems
with a module (e.g., the version gcc has a bug)
then the ports can be handy until you figure out
the issue, solve it, and are able to get items from
CPAN once again.

--
Steven Lembark                                       85-09 90th Street
Workhorse Computing                                Woodhaven, NY 11421