[Chicago-talk] :SPAM: Re: Script creates bad file when not run as root

Joshua McAdams joshua.mcadams at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 22:34:22 PST 2006

> Is the xls that comes out truly a binary file? Try running `file
> test.xls` and see what kind of file it reports as. If it's binary, then
> try `strings test.xls` to see if any embedded text can lead you in the
> right direction. If it's text, vim the file and see what it is.

Yeah, that module spits out the actual excel binary format if I
remember correctly.  I do remember that the edge cases would screw me
from time to time with this module.  For instance, if I needed to
create an empty spreadsheet and my code skipped the creation of a
worksheet within the workbook, then the file wouldn't open.  Also, if
the data was to big I would have to use Spreadsheet::WriteExcel::Big.
Your example seems to get around both of these, so I'm stumped :(