[Chicago-talk] Making a module work when installed by root or non-root

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Sun Apr 2 18:34:05 PDT 2006

Hi,

I have a module it uses Inline::Java.  By default Inline::Java builds a
"_Inline" directory (where it creates and stores some compiled code) at your
pwd, when you use Inline::Java.  So, unless you are sitting in exactly the
same spot (directory-wise), your filesystem becomes littered with "_Inline"
directories.

Inline allows you to specify the location of "_Inline".  So I was specifying
it below $Config{sitelib}.

The problem is, others who use this module are not installing as "root" so
they lack the permissions to create the necessary directories.

Should I just create the directory in the user's home directory?  Is there
somewhere else more appropriate?  This module is on CPAN if that makes any
difference to the answer.

Thanks
Jay