[Chicago-talk] my $self = shift;

Jim Thomason jim at jimandkoka.com
Thu Nov 17 10:12:45 PST 2005

Yes, I know one. I need a programmer. Well, Edison Schools needs a programmer.

http://jobs.perl.org/job/3233

I shall ramble on a bit with the specifics, but suffice to say that if
you're a serious perl guru who wants to work on a big perl app, you
should send us a resume.

If we look interesting, shoot off a cover letter and resume to our HR
department. And, for grins, CC me on it as well
(jthomason at tungstenlearning.com). Unfortunately, the recruiter working
through our HR position is in a state of flux at the moment, so I
don't know how quickly the company will get back to you. If I've got a
good looking resume, I may be able to lean some pressure on them.

Anyway, about us, Edison is the largest charter school provider in the
country. Blah blah blah. Standard HR BS that you can find in the ad.
Honestly, I need to write up another one that more directly appeals to
programmers instead of the one that HR assembled that's so generic.

Our office is up in Skokie on Golf Rd, right across the street from
Old Orchard. We used to be more conveniently located at the last stop
of the yellow line but moved to bigger digs. We're still right next to
94 though and a relatively easy drive from the city. Naturally, easier
if you're towards the north side.

Our office develops and supports a few products for the company that
are all in house, deployed to our 450 schools, running with mod_perl
on linux, with postgresql as the database. It all feeds into a
gigantic oracle server for warehousing purposes.

The app is huge and gnarly. Somewhere in excess of 100,000 lines or
so, and over 250,000 if you count the html, templates, mason
controllers, etc. So we need a serious perl guy who can hit the ground
running and not be too intimidated. Of course, since this is also for
an application that has organically grown in a lot of ways as opposed
to being designed, there's a lot of cleanup work along the lines of
"Here's your broom. Go fix it." I know that historical things weren't
always written the way that they should've been, but unfortunately
that's life. I don't bring this up to scare you, just to make sure
you'd know what you're walking in to. I know that some programmers are
really only happy if they're developing new stuff. While there's going
to be a lot of new development, there's also going to be a tremendous
amount of maintenance of the existing code.

Beyond that, the environment is fun and pretty relaxed. The pay is
good, standard benefits are available, and as an added perk we have
off the week between Christmas and New Year's (most schools aren't in
session then, you see, so neither are we).

Assuming your resume looks acceptable to HR & myself (and again,
unfortunately I don't know how long that would take at the moment),
we'll arrange to send you out a timed test to measure your abilities.
Assuming that also goes well, we'd arrange to bring you in for an
interview at some point after that.

-Jim....