[Chicago-talk] Design Question

Richard Reina richard at rushlogistics.com
Fri May 6 12:27:42 PDT 2005

Thank you Andy, Wiggins and JT for the responses thus
far.

> connections from the client machines and hangs on to
> them,

What do you mean by "hangs on to them"?

then when the
> Perl script logs the data have it call an event on
> the server to
> dispatch an message to each of the clients.

This act of dispatching a message to the clients is
what pushed me into using polling.  I could not figure
out a neat way to do get message to all these
(stripped down) clients that run various kernel
versions.  Setting up rysnc on all of them seemed
painful and impractical.  ncftput seems too slow and
on some of the machines unavailable.

client -->perl->DBI--> server

seemed the fastest and most practical, although I
admit I am having trouble conseptualizing what your
talking about above.

=====
A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.
 -Dwight D. Eisenhower.