[Chicago-talk] perl tests with overhead

JT Smith jt at plainblack.com
Tue Jul 26 07:57:57 PDT 2005

I need some advice from the testing gods on this list. I have a massive perl application
with little or no testing framework, and I want to start adding tests for everything. My
problem is that every one of the modules requires the session layer that I've created.
Among other things, the session layer manages the database connection. I can easily
write tests to verify the session layer, so that's not a problem.

The problem comes in that I don't want each test to have to seperately establish a
session before running if I can help it. What I'd like to do is create a session and
then pass each test a reference to the session.

My questions are these:

a) Is this a bad idea? Should I just have each module establish it's own session?

b) What's the best way to do this?

c) What I thought of was making each test a perl module rather than a seperate script,
then I can easily pass in the session object. However, will that cause problems? My
thought is that if they're all modules theoretically one module could contaminate the
results of another module simply because their both being loaded into memory at the same
time. There wouldn't be any Exporter or anything so I wouldn't have to worry about
overlapping variables and functions, but I worry none-the-less. Do you think this will
be a problem?

Any pointers?

JT ~ Plain Black
ph: 703-286-2525 ext. 810
fax: 312-264-5382
http://www.plainblack.com

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. ~ Adam Savage