[Chicago-talk] super complex object

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Wed Aug 3 08:18:06 PDT 2005

-- JT Smith <jt at plainblack.com>

> See I've tried to move it to an MVC pattern, but I lose several points of
> efficiency as  well as making it slightly more complicated for developers
> to put together subclasses of  this class.

You will nearly always see some performance hit with
OO technology. The lookups and separation issues
have an overhead. If you are that concernec with
performance dump the OO (or only use however much
of it as is necssary).

I'd still bet you have glommed together multiple
separate behaviors that might be better integrated
via dispatch from elements within the main object
than inheritence.

Difference is foo->does_everything vs.

    foo->{net}->does_this;
    foo->{disk}->does_that;

--
Steven Lembark                                       85-09 90th Street
Workhorse Computing                                Woodhaven, NY 11421