[Chicago-talk] Next 'eXtreme Piranha' Meeting

Jim Thomason thomasoniii at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 15:08:06 CDT 2004

> Which bring me to a question that has been bothering me lately...  There
> was a thread recently on here about mapping objects to a relational
> database.  I'm under the impression that there is some solid(?) math(set
> theory) underlying relational databases.  I'm curious if there is any
> solid theory/math/proofs behind object oriented programming???  If anyone
> knows of one I'd love to be pointed to a link.

Not AFAIK. It's one of the problems mapping between the two. Object
oriented design is based upon software engineering principles,
relational databases are based upon mathematics principles.

This is not to say that one is more or less valid than the other, less
proven (though I wouldn't know how to prove a software principle...),
or less tested, just that they originated in different places and
hence their communication can be a bitch.

For example,
http://www.agiledata.org/essays/impedanceMismatch.html

If you have time, I recommend running around agile data and reading
the essays. Lots of good stuff on there.

-Jim....