[Chicago-talk] Qualify Skills?

Andy_Bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov Andy_Bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov
Mon Oct 4 15:19:49 CDT 2004

OED says, you pick 'em:

 The taking of too much upon oneself as one's right; the assertion of
unwarrantable claims in respect of one's own importance; undue assumption
of dignity, authority, or knowledge; aggressive conceit, presumption, or
haughtiness.

or:

 Presumption, orig. towards the gods; pride, excessive self-confidence.

In either case a might fine line for any programmer types, though I do
feel better about having used "arrogance" to describe a perceived problem
w/ Microsoft/BillG in a 'customr satisfaction' survey they asked me to do
recently.  Wish I'd worked "hubris" in there too.

Andy Bach, Sys. Mangler
Internet: andy_bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov
VOICE: (608) 261-5738  FAX 264-5932

Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be, and
if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't.  That's logic!"
              -- Lewis Carroll, "Through the Looking Glass"