[Chicago-talk] refactoring literature

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Tue Mar 23 16:58:14 CST 2004

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 01:38:32PM -0800, Jim Thomason wrote:
> Anybody have any recommendations about good books
> dealing with re-factoring huge amounts of code? Either
> from OO -> better OO or from procedural -> OO.
>
> Something with practical strategies and approaches to
> take would be ideal.

I'm *not* an expert, and am really interested in this subject. In particular
moving from procedural to OO code...so I'd be interested in seeing what
resources you've dug up already.

I'm guessing you've already run across Fowler's book [1] and Schwern's
article [2] specifically about refacctoring Perl. Fowler hosts a website [3]
dedicated to refactoring which has lots of resources, and links to a very
active mailing list.

I've been reading Fowler's Refactoring book off and on for the past few
months, and its focus on moving from OO that smells bad to OO that smells nice
and clean is really interesting, but leaves me feeling a bit lost when it
comes to refactoring stinky procedural code.

//Ed

[1] http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201485672/103-4927898-5102260
[2] http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/10/09/refactoring.html
[3] http://www.refactoring.com/