[Chicago-talk] POE: SOAP

Jonathan Steinert hachi at kuiki.net
Wed Mar 10 11:40:54 CST 2004

JT Smith wrote:

> I started playing with POE last night for a server synchronization
> process I'm working on. The basic gist is that I want to have a process
> on server A kick off related processes on server's B and C. I thought
> setting up POE as a communications gateway on all three servers would be
> a great way to achieve that, given our little talk last month.
>
> I downloaded POE::Component::Server::SOAP and followed the example
> provided in POD. Unforunately the example doesn't work. The the server
> starts and the communication seems to be getting across, but the
> published service doesn't seem to be doing anything with the request.
> I've used quite a few web services (from X-Methods, Google's API, and
> some homebrew) and I'm fairly familiar with SOAP::Lite, but this is my
> first time with POE.
>
> Can anybody help guide me in the right direction here? How do I get
> debug out of POE? How do I make the example work? Any ideas?

There's a ton of debugging output you can get out of POE... my usual
routine is:

POE_ASSERT_DEFAULT=1 perl myprog.pl 2> somelog.txt

run the server for a while, make a request or possibly 2, then kill it.

However there's a lot more settings than that, and you don't have to set
them from your shell as an environment variable (this may only be a
cvs-poe feature, not sure).

http://search.cpan.org/~rcaputo/POE-0.2802/lib/POE/Kernel.pm#Kernel's_Debugging_Features

In any case, I've never used PoCo::Server::SOAP before, so I'm not sure
if the samples are broken or what. The usual mistake I'm prone to
hitting in POE is that I've mistyped a state name somewhere, which
because they are just strings to perl don't produce an error. The
TRACE_EVENTS debug feature may be what you want to try.

I'm reading over the docs to PoCo::Server::SOAP and may come back with a
better answer soon.

--Jonathan