[Chicago-talk] camelbones talk

Jim Thomason jthomasoniii at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 12:36:16 CST 2004

Okay, with Camelbones 0.2.2 (MacOS X framework to
allow you to write GUI aqua apps with perl) coming out
yesterday, the framework is moving ever closer to
prime time. Some of the stuff in the older versions
felt kinda hackish to me, the newer one is a fair bit
smoother.

And since it's panther (that's MacOS X 10.3)
compatible (starting with 0.2.1) AND I've finally
upgraded to panther myself, I'm comfortable enough to
offer myself up to give a talk on using it, if there's
sufficient interest.

So the powers that be can fit me in at some point. If
we want to do it, I'd be happy to give a talk. Only
caveat I'll add is that 0.2.2 still doesn't support
making perl subclasses of Objective-C objects, so it's
still fairly limited in what it can do (in terms of
big, full featured guis, that is (unless you write
those bits in objective-c instead (which you can do) )
) (I don't know lisp, honest). 0.3.0 apparently has
that number one on the to-do list and is tentatively
scheduled for a mid-april release. So unless there's a
burning need to get a talk subject for April 6th, some
time after that would be best (not that I'd go into it
too in depth, don't want the talk to drag on too
long).

-Jim.....