[Chicago-talk] Sharing data between processes

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Wed Jan 21 22:02:55 CST 2004

I've been using threads for this thing.  I'd just like to do it in a way
that
doesn't require threads, since thread support isn't built into perl (in most
cases).  My process is such (pseudo code/process):

customCode->new;
tws->new($customCode);
tws->connect
   # inside of connect {
   #    reader->new($customCode);
   #    reader->start;
   #    # which starts a new thread which sits on a socket reading messages
   #    # and calling method in the customCode

# now I do stuff like:
$tws->reqMktData('IBM');
$tws->placeOrder(...);

# meanwhile reader is get market quotes and populating a array in
# $customCode, which I can get at from $tws

I'm just trying to do it, maybe with processes, and avoid threads.
 Maybe storable will work.  I'll have to play with it.

Oh yeah, I'd like it to work on Windows too

Jay