[Chicago-talk] OSCON/YAPC, was: Perl CookBook 2nd Edition Review

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Mon Jan 12 09:54:29 CST 2004

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 08:23:42PM -0600, Steven Lembark wrote:
> Q: Anyone else interested in showing up to the Perl
> Conference this year? They give group discounts and
> it'd be nice to try and organize this early enough
> to get cheap airfare, etc.

That's a good idea Steven. While I'm not planning on going to TPC (aka The Open
Source Convention (OSCON) [1]) I was planning on attending YAPC [2] next year.
At YAPC you get alot of the same quality Perl talks over 3 days, for less than
$100. Last year many of the same Perl folks who were giving talks at OSCON
were presenting at YAPC as well. It's a nice alternative for those that can't
spend more. Funny, just noticed that YAPC just released the first call
for participation [3].

Jason and I have talked about carpooling it out to Buffalo for YAPC, and it
would be cool if other people wanted to come. I've never been to OSCON, so I
can't compare, but YAPC is a grassroots thing, and apart from being a good
place to learn new things, it's also a good place to meet smart people, and do
a bit of hacking.

//Ed

[1] http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2004/
[2] http://www.yapc.org/America/