[Chicago-talk] theft is good

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue Feb 17 16:35:19 CST 2004

Jim> delegates allow you to extend objects without
Jim> subclassing. This is useful for times when a
Jim> particular behavior is nonstandard and makes
Jim> subclassing excessive. It's easy to implement.

You might look in to Class::Prototyped instead.  It implements a
Self-like "prototype" system that probably does mostly what you want
it to do, with very little overhead.

Jim> Basically, a center like this allows two objects to
Jim> communicate w/o knowing anything about each other. You
Jim> post notifications to the center, and the center doles
Jim> out the notes to anything that cares about them, or
Jim> nothing if nobody cares. A quick example may be
Jim> easiest.

See POE, which uses the concepts of "posting an event" extensively.

Jim> So what about everyone else? Any other
Jim> tips/tricks/techniques/etc that you've swiped from
Jim> another language or environment and use in perl now?

I use stuff from my 20 years of programming prior to Perl, yes.