[Chicago-talk] a bookmarklet

Jim Thomason jthomasoniii at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 09:56:31 CST 2004

I don't know about you guys, but I tend to ignore the
messages as they come in. I prefer to read 'em on the
web. But I don't want to switch to the archive, since
it's tougher to reply and have some semblance of
thread continuity.

Not to worry, I just have a link in my browser
bookmark bar to zip over to the monthly archives. Of
course, this is mildly annoying when we switch to a
new month and I need a new bookmark. Most annoying.

So, to save myself that recurring 15 seconds of work,
I instead invested time in a javascript bookmarklet to
do it instead. You can grab it at:

If you're interested, follow the url, and then drag
the  "Chicago.pm archives" link to your browser
toolbar. Do not drag the link to jimandkoka.com
itself, drag the Chicago.pm archives link. I didn't
want to stick the actual javascript here for fear of
it getting hosed by being emailed.

And voila. Instant updating access to the current
month's thread archives. I know it works under OS X
(Safari, IE, Camino), and it should work fine
elsewhere, I just haven't tested it on those
platforms. Due to lack of access to said platforms.

Naturally, having invested the time to write the
javascript, I expect to see this functionality
incorporated into something server side within
nanoseconds, but I'll bask in the glory of the
accomplishment while it lasts.

Do you Yahoo!?