[Chicago-talk] Qualify Skills?

petemar1 petemar1 at perlmonk.org
Sun Dec 5 13:17:05 CST 2004

"Andy touched Larry's moustache twice..."

That's what makes /Perl M([ou]nger|aniac|onk)s/ more of a community than
the developers of any other language. I've never heard the exploits of
prominent Java developers who've fondled James Goslings' beard,
Bjarne Stroustrup's bald pate or Guido van Rossum's semprini.

I believe that it's more effective for an interviewer to give a series of
various technical tests than merely to demand a spot self-appraisal of an
interviewee's Perl skills. The grading scale is useful for getting an
answer to the question "Are you sure that you know what you know?"

Also, the self-assessment varies as scope varies. A grade for general
programming/computational science knowledge may be different from a
self-assessment for Perl knowledge, which in turn may be different from a
self-assessment for Perl knowledge used in the financial services
industry, for example. The self-grade should be one of many interviewer
tests.

http://petemar1.perlmonk.org
http://chicago.pm.org/members.html
http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~petemar1