[Chicago-talk] Net::Rendezvous

Greg Fast gdf at speakeasy.net
Wed Aug 18 13:29:38 CDT 2004

Has anyone used Net::Rendezvous?  I want to play around with
rendezvous, but I'm getting errors on (ironically) my iBook.

I'm running the synopsis example from N::R's pod:

    use Net::Rendezvous;
    my $res = Net::Rendezvous->new( 'workstation' );
    $res->discover;
    foreach my $entry ( $res->entries ) {
      printf "%s %s:%s\n", $entry->name, $entry->address, $entry->port;
    }

On a linux box, it seems to work (though it takes 2 min!):

    2021% perl r.pl
    Tofu\032[00:0a:95:b8:f0:6c] :

(Except that only the "name" field contains any data.  Perhaps the
entry isn't getting parsed correctly?)

But on the iBook:

    gregfast$ perl r.pl
    Can't call method "header" on an undefined value at /Library/Perl/5.8.1/Net/Rendezvous.pm line 216.

Stepping through with the debugger, it appears that the module is
getting appropriate data, but not in an expected format.

Any suggestions?

--
Greg Fast
http://cken.chi.groogroo.com/~gdf/