[Chicago-talk] Ownership problems with CPAN

Paul Baker pbaker at where2getit.com
Wed Sep 17 12:00:42 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 12:25  AM, Jay Strauss wrote:

> Hi, I'm running Debian Woody, I'm trying to get (and install)
> Date::Format,
> but I keep getting permission problems.

Since you are on Debian, unless you particularly need a newer version
off of CPAN, you may just want to go with the package for the module
that Debian already provides.

apt-get install libtimedate-perl

I'm not sure if Date::Format has any XS (C) code in the module, but if
it does, this will have a nice advantage that when you later upgrade to
the next release of Debian (Sarge) which will ship with Perl 5.8, you
won't have to worry about recompiling or reinstalling any Perl modules
to work with 5.8 because they will all be upgraded at the same time.

> Besides just getting the source
> myself and installing it, how can I make cpan work around the below:

But to solve your CPAN problem, you probably need to make sure you are
running it as root.

--
Paul Baker

          -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759