[Chicago-talk] Perl and CVS

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Thu Nov 13 09:43:12 CST 2003

-- "Scott T. Hildreth" <shild at sbcglobal.net>

> With CVS (as far as I know) you put an $Id: line at the top of the script
> which gets filled in with person who checked it in, version, date when
> the code is  commited.  So in perl put,
>
># $Id: $
>
> at the top of your code.
>
> I don't know about having it replace the $VERSION, unless you parsed the
> CVS Id line in a BEGIN block.
>

> On 13-Nov-2003 Jay Strauss wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> when I'm building a module and I have:
>>
>> our $VERSION = '0.01';
>>

>> And then I'm using CVS, is there some way to make it when I check the
>> module in, that CVS would replace the "0.01" with the CVS version?
>>
>> I remember with RCS you could put some strings into your code that RCS
>> would replace with the history, author, version...
>>
>> What about with CVS and Perl?

The problem with using RCS numbers with a perl $VERSION string
is that the RCS ones do not always sort lexically. There are
lots of situations where upping the RCS $version number does
not mean you are releasing a new version of the Perl code (e.g.,
you check it in 20 times to make sure it's archived before you
actually release the module).

                                            +1 888 359 3508