[Chicago-talk] "I don't have permission to install amoduleonthesystem!"'

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Sat Dec 27 20:55:09 CST 2003

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 08:41:43PM -0600, petemar1 wrote:
> "Is every part of Perl so 'hackerish?'," he asked rhetorically.

I guess you'd prefer using CLASSPATH [1] to PREFIX eh? ;-)

If I were you I would get friendly with your sysadmin and install stuff so
*everyone* on the system can use it.

Also, CPANPLUS [2] has a sudo hook now which could let select users build and
test stuff as regular users, and invoke sudo just for the install bit. Kinda
nice if a sysadmin wants to grant Perl install permissions only.

//Ed

[1] http://groups.google.com/groups?q=problem+classpath
[2] http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?CPANPLUS