[Chicago-talk] Re: postgres and COPY statements

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Mon Dec 15 11:19:37 CST 2003

> that 'endcopy' does exist in DBD::Pg (in Pg.xs,
> large_obhect.h and large_object.c) but is utterly
> undocumented anywhere in DBD::Pg. Doesn't appear to be
> part of DBI, either, so it's not there.

The func call is DBI's "ioctl" :-) Basically it's a way
into the back end database's API. The doc's for it are
buried somewere [deep] in the postgres doc's.

>From DBI:

	Individual driver implementors are free to provide any
	private functions and/or handle attributes that they
	feel are useful.  Private driver functions can be invoked
	using the DBI "func()" method.  Private driver attributes
	are accessed just like standard attributes.

I don't have DBD::pg lying around here but there is probably
some caveat about having the API manual around somewhere
[and perhaps a six pack] before venturing down that slippery
slope.

> What a pain in the ass. An utterly vital component,
> and no reference to it whatsoever. It's incidents like
> this that turn people off to open source.
>
> Document your code!

True.

                                            +1 888 359 3508