[Chicago-announce] Meeting this Thursday, May 23, 6:30pm - Building Command-Line Apps; ChicagoPM Github Organization

Doug Bell madcityzen at gmail.com
Mon May 20 10:36:38 PDT 2013

This week, I'll be giving an intermediate-level presentation on building
command-line applications, starting from simple scripts and moving on
through module-based, structured applications using CPAN frameworks.
Knowledge of Perl is recommended, though knowledge of command-line apps is
not.

The meeting will be at our usual location, 540 W Madison St. in the 9th
floor conference rooms. Pizza and beverages will be provided (if you have
requests for specific flavors of pizza or beverage, let me know).

Meetup link:
http://www.meetup.com/Windy-City-Perl-mongers-Meetup/events/119961772/

Please RSVP on the meetup page before 4:00pm on Thursday to make your
entrance as smooth as possible (RSVP is not strictly required, but it will
be hard for me to give the presentation and authorize security to let you
in at the same time). Directions are on the Meetup page.

This will be the first in a set of free, open-source intermediate-level
presentations released by the Chicago.PM organization on Github. The
presentation itself will be released with a Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike license, and the code inside the presentation will
be licensed under the same terms as Perl itself (Artistic License 1 or GPL
version 1 at your discretion). Our goal is to build a repository of living
presentations that pick up after the beginner's workshops and explore
single topics with some depth. Emphasis will be placed on best practices
with pragmatism: Here's multiple ways to do it, here's why you might choose
one way over another, here's some things you might see out in the wild and
how to improve on them. Our github organization is located at
http://github.com/ChicagoPM and if you want to help contribute, e-mail me
and I'll add you to the team.

Doug Bell
madcityzen at gmail.com