[Chicago-announce] MEETING/TALK: Feb 6, 2006 with Mark Jason Dominus

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Sat Jan 7 16:28:28 PST 2006

[Please feel free to forward to other area groups.  Mark is a great
speaker and well worth the trip. -- Andy]

Mark Jason Dominus
Red Flags: Code Review World Tour
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 (7:00 PM - 9:00 PM)
Doors open at 6:00: Talk with Mark before the meeting

Illinois Institute Of Technology, Rice Campus
Auditorium, room 166
201 East Loop Road
Wheaton, IL
http://www.rice.iit.edu/directions.html

Chicago Perl Mongers is proud to welcome Mark Jason Dominus, author of
"Higher-Order Perl," to the February meeting of Chicago.pm. Mark will be
talking about the book he's currently working on, Perl Program Repair Shop
and Red Flags. We'll be giving away a copy of Mark's book "Higher-Order
Perl" as well as other swag.

MJD is a very popular speaker, and we expect a large turnout. Please
let us know you plan to attend by emailing andy at petdance.com with "MJD"
in the subject.

As preparation, Mark has asked Chicago PMers to read the following:

    I'm writing a new book, which I hope will be published in 2007. It's
    about code review and refactoring in Perl. (For more complete
    information, please see http://perl.plover.com/flagbook/.)

    To do this right, I need real examples of real code that other people
    wrote. I'll review the code and fix it up, and explain in the book
    what I did and why.

    I have about half the examples that I need. I hope that the Perl
    community can provide the other half.

    For the next year, I'll be travelling around speaking to Perl Mongers
    groups about this. I'd like to give about one talk each month for
    the rest of the year.

    What I hope will happen is that a group will invite me to come speak,
    and that some of the group members will send me some example code
    ahead of time. Then I'll read over the code, write up a talk about
    how I think it could be improved, and come visit the group and give
    the talk. After I go home again, I'l write up a book chapter about
    the code, incorporating the points that the PM group raised when I
    gave the talk.

    Guidelines for code contributions are at

        http://perl.plover.com/flagbook/contribute.html

    I need your contributions no later than January 17th. To contribute,
    send code to: mjd at plover.com. Questions? Send to mjd at plover.com.

    Thanks a lot for having me in to speak.

For questions about this or any other upcoming meeting, please email
Andy Lester at andy at petdance.com.

--
Andy Lester => andy at petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance