[Chicago-announce] (FWD) UniForum: Blogging with Perl

vosede at lidp.com vosede at lidp.com
Fri Oct 10 07:28:54 CDT 2003

                           Blogging with Perl

                           Jason Scott Gessner
                    Tuesday, October 14, 2003, 7-9pm
               College of DuPage, Building SRC, Room 1450a

 Abstract
 --------
 Blogging is a large force in online publishing right now, and shows no
 signs of stopping.  Everyone from frustrated high school students to
 professional journalists and authors are setting up blogs.  Even many
 presidential candidates and tv celebrities have blogs!  But what is
 a blog?  Are they simply a format for ranting and raving about a niche
 subject?  Can blogging software become a platform for cheap, distributed
 and effective publishing?  This presentation will attempt to give some
 perspective on the world of blogging and demonstrated how perl can be a
 useful tool to create, analyze and use these systems for a wide variety
 of purposes.

 Presentation Outline:
 1. Blog Basics
 2. How can I use perl with my blog?
 3. Uses for these APIs: Alternative Interfaces
 4. What APIs are out there to find out who is talking about my site?
 5. How can I syndicate my site or find out when other people have
    updated their sites?
 6. What does the future hold?
 7. Questions?

 Speaker Bio
 -----------
 Jason Scott Gessner is a digital artist and programmer who has been
 using perl for pleasure and profit for the last 5 years.  His blog is
 available at  http://www.multiply.org/notebook.

 Getting There
 -------------
 The next meeting of the UniForum Chicago Perl Special interest
 group will be from 7:00 pm to 9:00 PM on Tuesday, October 14, 2003
 at the College of DuPage.  The address of the meeting facility is:

         College of DuPage
         Building SRC, Rm 1450a
         22nd and Lambert
         Glen Ellyn, IL 60137-6599

 Take 355 to Butterfield Rd (Rt 56).  Butterfield West to Lambert Rd.
 Lambert Rd North to first right after College Road.  Park in lots 7 or
 8 and walk to SRC building.  Rooms 1450a is on the first floor of
 the SRC building, and is entered through the cafeteria at the South
 of the building.

 All UniForum Chicago Perl SIG meetings are open to the public free of charge.

 For additional information contact Deborah Vose at (630)829-7033 or visit
 the UniForum Chicago web site at:
 	http://www.uniforum.chi.il.us/

--
Deborah Vose