[Charlotte.PM] Cool project

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Mon Aug 8 11:16:01 PDT 2011

Hi Kenneth,

Perl is known as the duct tape of the Internet. It's used in many
enterprise level situations that are far more mission-critical than a
tank monitoring system. I've even heard that Perl touches almost every
financial transaction that takes place.

You can get a good sense of the scope of Perl applications by visiting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl#Applications. Granted this is just a
published list. I know of uses of Perl by Fortune 100 companies who
would never claim to use Perl in an annual report.

Hope to see you in a couple weeks for our social on the 17th at 7pm.
Location TBD.

William

On 08/08/2011 12:59 PM, Kenneth Sheppard wrote:
> Hey William,
> That project to monitor gas station fuel tanks sounds really
> interesting.  I didn't know that enterprise level redundancy and
> stability could be achieved in perl programs.  And y'all will
> definitely be the first to know as soon as the chatbot goes up.  I'm
> trying to build in some features of system administration as well, so
> it should be an interesting project.
>
> Thanks,
> Kenneth

Knowmad - Web Strategy, Design & Development
W: http://www.knowmad.com | E: william at knowmad.com | P: 704.343.9330