[Charlotte.PM] Upcoming meetings for 2007

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Thu Mar 29 07:41:54 PDT 2007

Hey Mongers,

At the planning meeting this month, we came up with the following ideas
for meetings:

  * Perl vs. Ruby
  A look at web frameworks -- CGI::Application and WEBrick.

  * Perl Pragmas & Modules
  pragmas - fields, base, diagnostics, criticism, integer, subs, vars, sort
  modules - List::Util, Scalar::Util, IO::* (File, Handle, Socket, All)

  * Accessing Relational Databases with Perl
  Using Perl DBI to access Postgres, MySQL, SQLite.

  * Object-Relational Mapping in Perl
  A look at some of the ORM libraries available -- Class::DBI, DBIx::Recordset, Rose::DB.

  * Template Challenge
  A comparison of some of the templating solutions available in Perl (and elsewhere, e.g., ERB, Smarty).

  * Perl vs. _____
  e.g., Python, PHP, Ruby etc. There's a lot to learn from language comparisons. We need ideas for doing comparisons and champions of other languages to present the non-Perl solution.

If you have any ideas or additions, send an email to the list and let's
discuss it.

We are also in need of either a projector that we can borrow for the
evenings or a meeting space with a projector. If you have access to
either of these resources, please let me know. We'll be glad to offer
advertising or a link-back from our website[1] in return.

Hope to see you at an upcoming meeting.

William

[1] http://charlotte.pm.org

--