[Charlotte.PM] Fwd: New Ubuntu and Perl books available from O'Reilly Rough Cuts

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Mon Feb 27 09:29:47 PST 2006

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:18:45PM -0500, Matthew Lefevre wrote:
> Have not done the Rough Cuts program yet. I think there is another
> publisher that did this for their AJAX book.

Yep, that was Pragmatic Programmers. I know because we bought a copy.
One of my employees has been using it though not as much as following
mailing lists, etc. I think I'd wait in the future.

> I am currently using the prototype.js library with ASP.NET at work
> and with PHP at home. Is working so far.

That's what we're using for some of our work. It's amazing what they're
doing with it. Very nice stuff.

> The Ubuntu books sounds interesting.  I have been locked out of my
> work laptop (WinXP) and have been using Ubuntu 5.10 Live CD all
> weekend..... Seems like Linux/GNOME is finally ready as a desktop
> replacement.... Well, at least for my requirements its ready.

We're moving all our systems here to Ubuntu and doing the same at one
of my clients as well. I've been a long fan of Debian and Ubuntu is
borrowing its strengths while shoring up its weaknesses (glacial
release cycle).

> I saw somewhere online this book,
> Agile Web Development with Rails : A Pragmatic Guide
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097669400X/002-3285579-0620030?v=glance&n=283155
> was also released under an early access program.

Yeah, I'm eyeing that one. I like the PP folks. Might have a client who
will be using RR soon. Will let you know.

Later,
William

--
Knowmad Services Inc.