[Charlotte.PM] The Template Challenge

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Tue May 24 06:16:47 PDT 2005

Mongers,

It's time for the Template Challenge. The idea is to show off the syntax
and capabilities of the various template engines used by group members
to learn new tricks and techniques.

At the meeting last week, we drew up a sample HTML page which each
template must generate along with some sample data. I've taken this
data and placed it into the DATA section of a script which you can use
to process your template. In addition, your template should calculate
the total number of records and display its name (version optional).

All templates must output accurate results based on the data but feel
free to embellish the markup. We'll run the submissions and compare the
results at our June meeting including checking for valid HTML/XHTML
syntax so run your output through tidy or the HTML Validator at W3C[1].

So far, here are the list of entries:

  Template Engine     Champion(s)
  ---------------     --------
  Petal               William M
  Template Toolkit    Kurt W
  Text::Bind          William M

Popular engines without champions:
  HTML::Template
  Text::Template
  Mason

If your favorite is not in the list or does not have a champion, please
use the attached templates to submit an entry to the mailing list. Feel
free to submit an entry for an existing engine; after all, there's more
than one way to do it. Play as often as you'd like.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results at our next meeting on June
16th (location is still being determined, stay tuned!).

William

[1] http://www.w3.org

--
Knowmad Services Inc.