[Charlotte.PM] Perl Tk

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Sat Jun 18 19:17:36 PDT 2005

Hi Chris,

Sorry I've been so late about saying hello. Glad to have a displaced
North Carolinian on the list <g>. Hope you can get back and join us for
some meetings. I'm surprised the Atlanta list is slow. Does the group
there have regular meetings?

BTW, thanks for sharing the cdrecord script. I don't use cdrecord much
so am not sure what the benefits of your script are. Could you explain
it a bit for us?

> Before I get any further is Perl Tk really usable or clunky.  I like the
> fact that I can use perl to scrap our pages and do all the other nice
> things that perl can do.

I haven't used GUIs much but have always found Tk useful although a bit
clunky. Have you looked at wxWidgets (formerly wxWindows) which uses
native windowing libraries? There's a wxPerl library.

> Is there a way to simplify that regex?  And on the last '>(.+?)<\/td>'
> It is possible that that could be '></td>' or '>User</td>'  If a user is
> not assigned to that alarm then there is nothing there.  How can I fix
> that piece to match on '></td>' or '>Bob</td>'.

Couldn't you just change (.+?)<\/td>/ to (.*?)<\/td>/? Also, I'm swap
out the match characters from m// to m|| to avoid the leaning toothpick
syndrome in your regex. Finally, you may also want to consider
HTML::TreeBuilder for parsing your HTML.

Talk to you later,
William

--
Knowmad Services Inc.