[Charlotte.PM] issues with Test::Simple

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Wed Jul 13 11:27:44 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 01:16:46PM -0400, Diona Kidd wrote:
> Has anyone had issues with Test::Simple or other modules in perl with
> regards to threads?

I try to avoid threads ATM except when running ActiveState Perl on
Windows which is compiled with threads.

> When I install this module bundle, I see the error
> "lock can only be used on shared values" from several of the module's
> tests and it errors out. The error seems to come from with perl itself
> and I'm wondering if it has something to do with threads.

I've never seen that one. Have you reported this error in CPAN's bug
tracker?

> For some reason, I was thinking threads were disabled by default??

What's the output from `perl -V`?

> Meanwhile, I'm compiling a new instance of perl 5.8.7 with threads
> disabled. While talking to another developer, he mentioned that a lot
> of modules on CPAN aren't thread-safe and that this is a little
> dangerous with regards to Apache. Does anyone know more about this?

I've done a bit of research on this issue. My understanding is that this
was true for the original implementation of threads but that the newer
version should make all modules thread-safe by default[1]. I'd be
interested to hear from someone who has more experience.

Good luck,
William

[1] http://perldoc.perl.org/Thread.html

--