[Charlotte.PM] issues with Test::Simple

Diona Kidd diona at studio12a.com
Wed Jul 13 10:16:46 PDT 2005

Has anyone had issues with Test::Simple or other modules in perl with
regards to threads? When I install this module bundle, I see the error
"lock can only be used on shared values" from several of the module's
tests and it errors out. The error seems to come from with perl itself
and I'm wondering if it has something to do with threads. It's
happening on both platforms I've tried, Redhat and Mac OS X. They both
appear to have the default system perl. For some reason, I was thinking
threads were disabled by default??

Meanwhile, I'm compiling a new instance of perl 5.8.7 with threads
disabled. While talking to another developer, he mentioned that a lot
of modules on CPAN aren't thread-safe and that this is a little
dangerous with regards to Apache. Does anyone know more about this?

Regards,

Diona Kidd

[ http://www.modernflow.com ]