[Charlotte.PM] Business Issues

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Thu Apr 21 05:47:27 PDT 2005

Since we won't be having a regular meeting, I'd like to throw out some
business issues that need to be discussed before the next meeting.
Please add your comments or thoughts.

1. Meetup.com reorganization: The Meetup.com website that about half of
the group is subscribed to will soon be charging a Group fee of $19/mo
($228/yr). Unless someone would like to pay for this service, I'm going
to let the group be shut down. Speak up soon if you think Meetup.com is
worth the investment.

2. Meeting time: I've received feedback that our 7pm meeting time is too
early for some folks getting off work in the downtown/southside areas.
Is there any interest in or resistance to starting the meetings at
7:30pm?

3. Meeting location: Next month's meeting will require a decent AV setup
to be effective. Jackson's Java is a wonderful place for social meetings
but is inadequate for technical meetings. My plan is to contact the
UNCCLUG to secure a room on campus. There is a $5 parking fee which
could be shared if the non-students meet at Jackson's beforehand and
carpool to the campus. I'm open to other suggestions but need a quick
solution so that we can secure and announce the May meeting.

4. Volunteers: Got an idea? Looking for a way to get more involved? Want
to see something different? There are many opportunities for getting
involved including librarian, meeting planning, website design, website
management (Eileen has offered to help out with the wiki),
presentations, finding speakers, and more. I'm happy to keep the group
as a social organization but would really like to see it become a
resource for Perl programmers which requires more time and effort than
one person can give.

5. Job offers: I find the recent job offers that have come through the
list to be a good sign that the Perl Mongers group is getting noticed in
the area. I think that we should encourage businesses and recruiters
seeking Perl talent to use the mailing list. For folks who have a good
job and don't want to see these mailings, I'd encourage all job listings
to have the word JOB in capitals somewhere in the subject for easy
filtering.

Thanks,
William

--