[Charlotte.PM] April Meeting - reading materials

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Thu Apr 7 05:36:51 PDT 2005

Hello Mongers,

I hope everyone is enjoying the Spring weather and not suffering too
much from the pollen. For our next meeting we are going to be joining
CharJUG and the ACM student chapter at CPCC for a lecture by Andrew Hunt
of The Pragmatic Programmers. The lecture starts at 6:30pm; I'll wait
outside with books in tow and an appropriate t-shirt so that you can
find the other JAPHs.

The lecture is being held at CPCC Central Campus on 1201 Elizabeth
Avenue[1]. I'll provide parking info as I hear more. There are several
nearby parking decks. If you need a ride from the University area,
please post a notice to the list.

In preparation for the lecture, I have gleaned some suggested reading
materials from around the web:

  "Cook Until Done" - a recent article by Dave & Andrew
  http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/articles/cook_until_done.html

  Interview by Chromatic (Perl.com editor)
  http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/06/24/pragmatic_programmers.html

  "Don't Live with Broken Windows" - interview by Bill Venners
  http://www.artima.com/intv/fixit.html

  _The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master_
  http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/ppbook/index.shtml

As you may have seen in a previous mailing to our list, registration for
YAPC::NA[2] (Yet Another Perl Conference) has opened.  It's only $85 for
3 days. I am planning to attend this year. Let me know if you are
considering going.

Finally, some folks have mentioned a desire to help grow our fledgling
group. Here's a list few things which I can think of:

  * Whip the wiki[3] into shape; this is currently running on a test
    site
  * Arrange the meeting schedule for the summer including securing a
    better location with a conference/meeting room and finding speakers
    or presenters
  * Offer to present something that you know--even if it's not Perl
    (well it should at least be about programming)

Please add anything that you can think of and/or can do.

Thanks,
William

[1] http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=1201+Elizabeth+Avenue,+Charlotte,+NC
[2] http://yapc.org/America/