[Charlotte.PM] O'Reilly User Group Program - We're Approved!

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Tue Nov 30 07:56:09 CST 2004

> > review copies of any of the O'Reilly books. In addition, we can get a
> > 20% discount on any books we buy as well as free shipping if the order
> > is over $30. It's an all-around good deal.
>
> Does that mean that members can get orders placed via the group in order
> to avail the discount ? I don't know a 20% discount is a big deal, or
> whether or not it could be availed from other sources.

The 20% is probably not that great a deal if you compare it to places
like Amazon.com but the free shipping could get the cost down. To my
understanding, this rate is available to all members of the group.

> >  2) Review books and send your reviews to the mailing list so that we can
> >  post them onto the website; in addition, you can post them to any online
> >  book review site such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Slashdot.
>
> is there a commitment of any sort? like we need to post X number of
> reviews per month ? or that we need to review the books we request within
> X number of days or something like that ?

I have not read anything about a commitment or quota. Personally I think
anyone who requests a book should be able to put together a few words
about it. It's a small commitment in return for being able to request
any of the O'Reilly titles.

> Initially probably someone would have to lug the books around, as we don't
> have a place to store them. I could ask a couple of people in UNCC who're
> interested in being a part of the PM and they *might* be willing to store
> the books in their offices, and letting us access them. But i'll go ahead
> with this only if others here agree upon this sort of a set up. If others
> feel more comfortable if the books are with william, and if he's okay with
> the inconvenience of carrying them, we could probably give it a try for
> some time.

Thanks for the offer. I've not had any requests for books yet so lugging
the library is not a problem. I don't care where the books physically
reside. My plan is to leave the bulk of the books somewhere and only
take to the meeting those that have been requested. Having the list of
books available on the website would facilitate this process. It will be
important that whoever is in charge of the physical books attends every
meeting or finds a proxy to deliver any requested books.

> I'm unfortunately tied up for the entire next month and would not be able
> to contribute much to these latest developments. Hopefully by the end of
> next month i'll start being more visible, and contribute more to the
> group. It'd be great have our website wiki'd.

I hope you're able to get yourself untied soon and can join us at the
meetings again. Thanks for the feedback. It's good to hear from you.

Cheers,
William

--
Knowmad Services Inc.